BELGIUM: EU threatens India with WTO action
The European Union has threatened to take India to the World Trade Organisation over the country's taxes on wines and spirits.
The European Commission, which argues India's duty regime breaks its WTO commitments, has said it will give New Delhi until Friday (17 November) to promise it will liberalise - or it will lodge a request for formal talks with India. Such negotiations are the first stage of a disputes proceeding at the WTO.
If talks with India fail to meet the EU's demands, then Brussels is likely to push for WTO arbitration. Indian drinks tariffs are notoriously high and have been a major target of the suspended WTO Doha Development Round.
The Scotch whisky industry, for example, has been a fierce critic of India's duty system, where a tax of up to 550% can be levied on a bottle of Scotch.
It may not be as well known as Scotch or bourbon but Japanese whisky is winning plaudits for quality and gaining ground internationally. Marcin Miller believes the growing popularity of Japanese cuisi...
The Scotch Whisky Association has applauded the EC's acquiescence to allow spirit drinks to be sold in any of nine standard sizes....
Beam Global Wine & Spirits is looking to revamp its Teacher's blended Scotch brand. Speaking to just-drinks yesterday (9 May), Beam's Scotch brand director, Michael Cockram, said that, while the brand...
Beam Global Wine & Spirits has lined up an addition to its Scotch whisky offering....
Bacardi USA has signed a lease for a new headquarters currently in construction in Florida....
Gordon & MacPhail has unveiled a further addition to it Benromach whisky range....
Black Bottle has become the official whisky of Scottish horse racing for 2007....
The Edrington Group is set to focus its efforts on "international markets" for its The Famous Grouse whisky brand. The Scotch whisky distiller confirmed today (3 May) that it is dropping its shirt spo...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research