BELGIUM: EU threatens Canada over drinks tariffs
The European Commission has launched formal World Trade Organisation (WTO) disputes proceedings with Canada over a discriminatory tax break for Canadian wine and beer producers.
Under the country's 2006 budget proposals, excise duties on wine made from 100% Canadian-grown agricultural products and domestic beer would either be reduced or abolished, while excise tax remains on imported wine and beer.
The law should be adopted by 1 December, including retroactive application from 1 July. The tax break is already applied provisionally by the Canada Revenue Agency.
EU Agriculture Commissioner Mariann Fischer Boel said: "This measure is unfair and I urge Canada to end this discrimination against our products."
In spite of the news that the Indian government has once again eschewed tariff reform, Richard Woodard sees plenty of export growth potential for Scotch whisky, both in emerging and established market...
Economic growth and rising personal incomes in the Asia Pacific region may make it an exciting growth area for international brands but the potential for international spirits varies considerably from...
The World Trade Organisation has agreed to an EU request to take a closer look at India's taxation of spirits and wines....
The head of United Spirits, has called for the deregulation of the global whisky industry....
The EU has formally asked the World Trade Organisation to set up an arbitration panel to rule on India's tariff regime for imported wines and spirits....
The Scotch Whisky Association has voiced scepticism at the Indian government's assertion that it wants to find a compromise on the row over the country's tariff regime....
The Scotch whisky industry has reiterated its desire for India to cut its tariffs on imported spirits as the EU mulls whether to turn up the heat on the Indian government....
The Indian government has refused to back down in the row over the country's duties on imported spirits. India has been facing growing international pressure to reduce the tax on products imported int...
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends