DENMARK: EU task force intervenes in Carlsberg/Orkla beer deal
The European Union Commission's Merger Task Force has written to Carlsberg stating that it is in agreement with Carlsberg's position that the relevant national competition authorities ought to be responsible for the approval of Carlsberg A/S' acquisition of Orkla's brewing activities.Carlsberg and Orkla's brewing activities will be gathered in a newly-created company, Carlsberg Breweries A/S. Carlsberg A/S will own 60 per cent and Orkla the remaining 40 per cent. As Carlsberg Breweries' total turnover is below the ceilings given by the EU's merger regulations, the Commission has decided that relevant national competition authorities are responsible for deciding the matter.It is satisfying for Carlsberg to be backed-up in our assumption that the deal is a case for the national authorities.Carlsberg is already in contact with competition authorities in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Lithuania, amongst others. Approval is expected before the end of the current year.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends