DENMARK: EU task force intervenes in Carlsberg/Orkla beer deal
The European Union Commission's Merger Task Force has written to Carlsberg stating that it is in agreement with Carlsberg's position that the relevant national competition authorities ought to be responsible for the approval of Carlsberg A/S' acquisition of Orkla's brewing activities.Carlsberg and Orkla's brewing activities will be gathered in a newly-created company, Carlsberg Breweries A/S. Carlsberg A/S will own 60 per cent and Orkla the remaining 40 per cent. As Carlsberg Breweries' total turnover is below the ceilings given by the EU's merger regulations, the Commission has decided that relevant national competition authorities are responsible for deciding the matter.It is satisfying for Carlsberg to be backed-up in our assumption that the deal is a case for the national authorities.Carlsberg is already in contact with competition authorities in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Lithuania, amongst others. Approval is expected before the end of the current year.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Newcastle Brown Ale to lose caramel colouring
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages