DENMARK: EU task force intervenes in Carlsberg/Orkla beer deal
The European Union Commission's Merger Task Force has written to Carlsberg stating that it is in agreement with Carlsberg's position that the relevant national competition authorities ought to be responsible for the approval of Carlsberg A/S' acquisition of Orkla's brewing activities.Carlsberg and Orkla's brewing activities will be gathered in a newly-created company, Carlsberg Breweries A/S. Carlsberg A/S will own 60 per cent and Orkla the remaining 40 per cent. As Carlsberg Breweries' total turnover is below the ceilings given by the EU's merger regulations, the Commission has decided that relevant national competition authorities are responsible for deciding the matter.It is satisfying for Carlsberg to be backed-up in our assumption that the deal is a case for the national authorities.Carlsberg is already in contact with competition authorities in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Lithuania, amongst others. Approval is expected before the end of the current year.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Can fruit cider survive UK slowdown? - Focus
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part II
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends