S AFRICA: EU row to run into 2007
South Africa and the European Union are hoping to meet early next year to settle the issue of geographical indicators and trademarks.
The two sides plan to meet in the first quarter of 2007, but no fixed date has been set.
The news will delay a proposed payment of ZAR15m (US$2.1m) in compensation offered by the EU to South Africa if the country relinquishes its claims to regional names such as Port and sherry. The two sides have spent around five years trying to settle the issue but have not met to discuss the matter since 2004.
The South African government has not ratified the 2002 Wine and Spirits and Free Trade Agreement between the two sides, saying it wants clarification of the principles related to the linking of geographical indicators and trademarks.
The EU's regulations in turn do not allow for the ZAR15m to stand over for an extended period and it has now apparently been channelled to projects in Kosovo, said Sandile Tyini, SA's director of bilateral trade with Europe and chief negotiator.
The EU has also unilaterally declared names such as tawny and ruby, which describe styles of Port, off limits. South Africa will be questioning the legitimacy of these points as well when the parties eventually meet.
Wine production in the Northern Hemisphere remains dogged by over-production, but according to a recent report published by just-drinks, there is plenty of opportunity for innovative and consumer-awar...
The European Union (EU) and Australia have inked a new bilateral agreement on trading wine....
Cameron Family Glass Packaging has completed a deal allowing it to build a glass plant manufacturing glass exclusively for the wine industry....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has lined up a sailing sponsorship package in the UK for its Cockburn's Port brand....
Former William Grant & Sons executive vice-president and national sales manager Joel Gosler has formed a new US import and marketing company....
Beam Global UK has invested in Harvey's Bristol Cream this year by creating point of sale material to encouraging consumers to drink the sherry chilled....
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirit Fair......
Bruichladdich has posted an almost one-third increase in full-year profits....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India