EU rejection of Swedish tax-free appeal raises public health fears
The European Commission has rejected Sweden's plea for an indefinite extension of the laws limiting the amount of tax-free alcohol that may be imported into the Scandinavian country, saying the restrictions will have to end by the end of 2003. Sweden has argued that the restrictions were needed to protect public health by limiting alcohol consumption. But the Commission said an indefinite extension would breach the fundamental right of citizens to travel throughout the EU without incurring new taxes or duties on goods on which tax had already been paid. The Swedes will have to apply progressive increases in current tax-free allowances. This will mean that the present one litre of spirits will rise to two litres from the beginning of 2002 and to five litres from the beginning of 2003. The present allowance of five litres of wine will rise to 26 litres from July 1st this year and then to 52 litres from the start of 2003. The Commission believes that this arrangement, which has been the subject of extremely lengthy negotiations, is a "fair and reasonable compromise" which gives Sweden a little more time to introduce an anti-drinking campaign. However the Swedes may still press their case in the EU Council of Ministers which has been sympathetic to the Swedish argument.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Will the Selfie Prove the Tonic for Beauty Drinks?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review