BELGIUM: EU orders rum duty reduction for French Caribbean
Rum producers from French overseas departments (counties) have been given a 50% tax break on excise duty charged on sales within mainland France, stretching until December 2012.
The European Union (EU) Council of Ministers has approved the derogation from standard EU excise rules, after French government claims that these rum manufacturers are vulnerable commercially.
Most are based on the Caribbean islands of Martinique and Guadeloupe and the Indian Ocean island of Réunion. Together, the sector produces annually rum worth EUR250m. The tax break will cover rum containing up to 108,000 hectolitres of pure alcohol, annually.
France claimed in council documents these rum producers' "inability to compete" was because of increased production and labour costs since 2001, partly through new EU environmental and health rules adding 10%-15 % to costs.
Since 2002, annual shipments from these producers to the mainland EU has fallen by 12% to 155,559 hectolitres.
10 things you should know about... Vin & Sprit...
Strong beers may offer brewers significant growth potential but their perception as a cheap way of consuming alcohol puts them directly in the regulatory sights of governments looking to tackle excess...
Recent deals by both Diageo and Edrington underline the growth potential major spirits companies see in the premium rum market. Jessica Harvey examines the latest moves in the context of a growing and...
Pernod Ricard has lined up a responsible drinking campaign in the UK....
Coors Brewers has announced plans to cease displaying its Carling logo on children's replica shirts of two major football clubs in the UK....
CL WorldBrands has announced the appointment of Brian Woods to the position of senior marketing manager for rum....
The European Commission's year-long court case against Sweden over wine and beer taxes collapsed today (8 April), when the European Court of Justice ruled that Swedish wine taxes did not have to be cu...
The Pink Spirits Co. has hired a manager for the south eastern region of the US to meet its "growing demand and expanding distribution"....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future