BELGIUM: EU hopeful on end to US/Canada duty free seizures
The European Union's (EU) travel industry council claims assurances from the European Commission that EU airports will stop confiscating duty free drinks from air passengers taking connecting flights within Europe commencing in the US and Canada from October.
The pledge emerged in a meeting between newly-appointed EU transport Commissioner Antonio Tajani and European Travel Retail Council president Frank O'Connell. The ETRC wants a deal, because the US Transport Security Administration recently approved the use of Security Tamper Evident Bags (STEBs) in US airports, that supposedly allow passengers to carry duty-free liquids though any airports that recognise them.
The Commission is staging ongoing negotiations with Canada on the same subject.
O'Connell later welcomed the Commissioner's "proactive and positive approach", noting that the security-related confiscations of airport duty-free "remain a serious problem and cause considerable frustration for passengers and loss of revenue for airport retailers".
A Chinese air passenger spent more than EUR46,000 (US$64,000) on French grands crus wines in a duty free shop at Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport, the airport authority has said....
Cross-border shopping by EU citizens is likely to increase through more liberal personal allowances for duty-free or -paid purchases....
Foster's Group has prepared a direct sales, marketing and distribution organisation for its operations in Finland, Norway and Sweden....
The European Parliament has amended incoming European Union (EU) duty-free legislation so air passengers making transfer flights within the EU ahead of a final flight to a non-EU airport can buy duty-...
Burn Stewart has released the first global travel retail exclusive from its Bunnahabhain Scotch whisky portfolio....
Chivas Brothers today (10 November) launched a EUR50m (US$64m) global TV and print advertising campaign for Chivas Regal, the company's flagship brand....
Belvedere has played down fears that the economic downturn will hit the travel retail sector in the coming months, but has warned that it has seen some indicators of potential troublespots....
The Patrón Spirits Company has finalised a partnership with Aer Rianta to list Patrón at Moscow airports Domodedovo, Sheremetyevo, and Vnukovo, and St Petersburg's Pulkovo airport....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Absolut rebound paints rosy picture for Pernod
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends