BELGIUM: EU hopeful on end to US/Canada duty free seizures
The European Union's (EU) travel industry council claims assurances from the European Commission that EU airports will stop confiscating duty free drinks from air passengers taking connecting flights within Europe commencing in the US and Canada from October.
The pledge emerged in a meeting between newly-appointed EU transport Commissioner Antonio Tajani and European Travel Retail Council president Frank O'Connell. The ETRC wants a deal, because the US Transport Security Administration recently approved the use of Security Tamper Evident Bags (STEBs) in US airports, that supposedly allow passengers to carry duty-free liquids though any airports that recognise them.
The Commission is staging ongoing negotiations with Canada on the same subject.
O'Connell later welcomed the Commissioner's "proactive and positive approach", noting that the security-related confiscations of airport duty-free "remain a serious problem and cause considerable frustration for passengers and loss of revenue for airport retailers".
A Chinese air passenger spent more than EUR46,000 (US$64,000) on French grands crus wines in a duty free shop at Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport, the airport authority has said....
Cross-border shopping by EU citizens is likely to increase through more liberal personal allowances for duty-free or -paid purchases....
Foster's Group has prepared a direct sales, marketing and distribution organisation for its operations in Finland, Norway and Sweden....
The European Parliament has amended incoming European Union (EU) duty-free legislation so air passengers making transfer flights within the EU ahead of a final flight to a non-EU airport can buy duty-...
Burn Stewart has released the first global travel retail exclusive from its Bunnahabhain Scotch whisky portfolio....
Chivas Brothers today (10 November) launched a EUR50m (US$64m) global TV and print advertising campaign for Chivas Regal, the company's flagship brand....
Belvedere has played down fears that the economic downturn will hit the travel retail sector in the coming months, but has warned that it has seen some indicators of potential troublespots....
The Patrón Spirits Company has finalised a partnership with Aer Rianta to list Patrón at Moscow airports Domodedovo, Sheremetyevo, and Vnukovo, and St Petersburg's Pulkovo airport....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends