CZECH REPUBLIC: EU grants protection to Czech beer names
Budejovicky Budvar said the decision will mean the brewer will have the right to use these trademarks in EU countries in the future.
Two breweries in Ceske Budejovice, the state-controlled Budejovicky Budvar brewery and the privately-owned Budejovicky Mestansky Pivovar, have the right to the Budejovicky Pivo name, but Budvar is the only company with the right to use the Ceskobudejovicky Pivo designation.
In response the statement, Anheuser-Busch, the US brewing group which has contested numerous legal battles with Budejovicky Budvar over the use of the Bud and Budweiser names, said: "We are pleased that the accession treaty between the Czech Republic and the EU contains specific and unprecedented language that protects our established rights to the Budweiser and Bud brand names in EU countries. Importantly, the EU also rejected BB's request to recognize 'Budweiser,' as a geographic indication. This treaty is the result of BB's attempts to use political means to try to gain protections that they have been unable to achieve through fair and open legal proceedings. However, we are pleased that the rights allowed in this treaty are narrow and will have no impact on us."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Anheuser-Busch may have to reinstate workers it dismissed after catching inappropriate behaviour using hidden cameras....
Anheuser-Busch is to follow the US launch of its B(E) beer by rolling out the brand in the UK....
The US brewer Anheuser-Busch said today that it had seen its earnings per share fall 3% in the first quarter of the year, compared to the same period last year as it was hit by difficult trading condi...
Patrick Stokes, president and chief executive officer of Anheuser-Busch Companies, has said that the company's board of directors has declared a regular quarterly dividend....
Berkshire Hathaway Inc., the holding company of billionaire Warren Buffett, has acquired a significant stake in Anheuser-Busch....
Anheuser-Busch has threatened to stop buying rice from Missouri if the state allows genetically modified, drug-making crops to grow within its borders....
China's largest brewer Tsingtao Brewery has reported a 16.4% jump in net profit for the year to Y285m, according to local reports....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review