EU: EU drinks exports to US under threat – statistics
European Union (EU) drinks exports to the US are under pressure, according to economic analysis from the European Commission.
The Commission's latest 'Monitoring Agri-trade Policy' report, released late last week, warns that "for the past two years, the US appears to be a declining market for the EU" for food and drink, with alcoholic beverages accounting for seven of the top ten products.
Food and drink exports fell by 4% year-on-year in 2007, by EUR500,000 (US$824,850), with a steeper decline of EUR1bn in 2008.
The report noted that the most dramatic decline was for bottled water sales, which plunged by over 50%, or EUR350m in 2008.
Significant falls were also recorded for vodka and whisk(e)y, which declined by between 15% and 20% each, drops of over EUR100m each.
Beer sales also fell, albeit by around only 2%, or approximately EUR100m.
The report noted, however, that EU drinks sales to Russia have been rising in the last two years, despite the recession.
Wine was the EU's biggest food and drink export, valued at an annual average of EUR1.7bn in 2006, 2007 and 2008.
The full report can be found here.
The one consistent prediction coming from everyone's crystal ball is that 2010 is going to be a tough year for the global wine industry. Chris Losh, however, believes that the next 12 months will stil...
Growth in both the global spirits and wine categories is expected to slow markedly in the five years to 2013, according to new research....
Russia's Government plans to halve alcohol consumption in the country by 2020, according to a report....
Pernod Ricard has reported a 3% drop in like-for-like sales for its fiscal half-year....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Russian Standard has confirmed a change of personnel in the marketing department of its US unit....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Diageo gets 2016 off to a strong start - Analysis
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research