BELGIUM: EU decision on minimum excise duties delayed
The European Union (EU) Council of Ministers has today (28 November) delayed a decision on setting new raised minimum excise duties on alcohol for up to seven months and maybe longer, asking the European Commission to investigate the issue.
The current Finnish EU presidency said: "The council has invited the Commission to carry out a comprehensive study." The results are expected in the "first half of 2007".
Although the Finns said this would "facilitate further decisions", the report will be released during the next German presidency of the EU.
This will present a situation whereby, given that Germany has led opposition to raising duties due to its unwillingness to countenance raising German beer prices, the nation will control EU council agendas until July.
Wine production in the Northern Hemisphere remains dogged by over-production, but according to a recent report published by just-drinks, there is plenty of opportunity for innovative and consumer-awar...
Budweiser has announced it will be renewing its partnership with The Premier League, the UK's top flight football league, with the renewed deal commencing 1st June 2007....
The alcohol industry has reacted with disappointment at the failure of The World Health Assembly (WHA) to reach a consensus on a resolution on alcohol....
Systembolaget has posted a healthy start to the year so far....
Research published by the UK's Wine & Spirit Trade Association (WSTA) and Wine Intelligence suggests that lower alcohol wines are becoming more popular among UK consumers....
Vinmonopolet has posted a marked slip in alcohol sales for the month of April....
Anheuser-Busch has stopped making its drink Spykes due to its "limited volume potential and unfounded criticism"....
Brick Brewing Co. is set to brew Tiger Malt non-alcoholic beer in Canada....
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Edrington names European Travel Retail head
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets