EUR: EU court says minimum pricing illegal
Setting a minimum price on products is illegal, the European Court of Justice has said, in what drinks firms hope will be a further blow to plans to introduce a minimum price on alcoholic drinks.
The preliminary ruling, published today (22 October), came in a case brought by the European Commission against Austria, Ireland and France, which had intended to impose a minimum price on tobacco.
The European Court of Justice Advocate General said today (22 October) that such a measure would be illegal. The Advocate General's opinion is generally reflected in the final court ruling.
The news has buoyed the alcoholic drinks industry in its fight against plans for a minimum pricing scheme in Scotland.
Gavin Hewitt, CEO of the Scotch Whisky Association, said today: "This Opinion is a comprehensive rejection of minimum pricing by the European Court of Justice and cannot simply be ignored by the Scottish Government."
Last month, just-drinks revealed that the UK's Office of Fair Trading has warned the Scottish Government that it opposes minimum pricing.
Drinks industry leaders expect any minimum pricing scheme to face legal challenges, but the proposal is being strongly backed across the UK by the medical profession.
A minimum price on alcoholic drinks in Scotland could cost the Scotch whisky industry up to GBP600m (US$937m), with authorities in key export markets likely to follow Scotland's lead, the Scotch Whisk...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research