POLAND: EU accession scares brewers
Poland's three largest brewers saw sales rise in Q1, but fear the impending entry into the European Union could hamper any future growth for them. The brewers believe that the country's accession to the EU on 1 May could lead to a flood of cheap imports from neighbouring countries.
Industry group Browary Polskie said that the total sales at breweries including Zywiec, SABMiller's Kompania Piwowarska and Carlsberg's Okocim rose by 6% year-on-year in the first quarter of this year, to 5.1m hectolitres. The brewers are concerned, however, that Poles may buy beer in the Czech Republic or Germany, where excise tax is about 20% of Polish levels.
Speaking at a news conference, Zywiec and Browary Polskie head Nico Nusmeier said: "We are optimistic about beer consumption. Taking into account the changing structure of alcohol consumption in Poland and consumers' disposable income, the growth trend should be continued.
"But we are worried that beer sales (growth) will be lower than we have seen so far," he added. "That might be less than 6% this year."
The Polish finance ministry has responded to an industry campaign for lower tax by saying that excise accounts for a relatively small proportion of the final cost of beer, and that brewers should focus instead on cutting their distribution costs.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Carlsberg has increased its ownership in Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad from 49.66% to 51%. The investment amounts to approximately US$6m....
Alcohol intake amongst young female adults in the UK continues to rise and shows no signs of abating, according to a recent report....
Cobra Beer has launched an alcohol-free beer in South Africa, the UK and in its European and Asian export markets....
China Resources Snow Breweries Limited (CR Snow) has entered into an agreement with the Fuyang City government to acquire the assets of the Fuyang City Snowland Brewery Company in Anhui province for U...
Carlsberg Sverige is looking to introduce a lemon-flavoured beer to the Swedish market....
Following its recent re-launch in the UK, SABMiller has introduced its Italian lager brand Peroni Nastro Azzurro to the Romanian market....
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future