ESTONIA: Estonia to double alcohol taxes
The Estonian Ministry of Finance has presented a draft plan to the national parliament advocating a 20% increase in alcohol taxes effective from 1 January 2008.
The proposed tax increase forms one segment of a broader tax package that also endorses raising taxes on car fuels and tobacco products.
"The government had originally planned to increase the tax on alcohol products by 10%," Finance Minister Ivari Padar told the Estonian parliament yesterday (May 29). "There is a need to prepare Estonia's economy to join the Eurozone in 2011. These new tax measures are needed if we are to bring Estonia into line."
The alcohol tax hike could hurt inward tourism, however, especially from Sweden and Finland, Padar warned.
Alcohol harm is back at the top of the media agenda this week - is it ever away for long? The Alcohol Health Alliance, a newly-formed association of 24 leading health organisations in the UK, is c...
A committee of the European Parliament has come down firmly in favour of drastic changes to the European Commission's plans for reforming the EU's wine sector....
Sapporo Holdings has requested further information from Steel Partners for the third time, regarding the US private equity group's attempts to up its stake in the Japanese company....
The UK Prime Minister has warned the drinks industry to 'get more involved' with the issues of under-age and binge-drinking in the country, or face tougher action in the future....
Belvedere has posted a healthy lift in sales for the first nine months of this year, as Polish reports have claimed the company has acquired a local alcohol distributor....
Anheuser-Busch has launched two seasonal beers under its Michelob brand....
The privatisation of Swedish state-owned alcohol concern Vin & Sprit has been brought forward as an indirect result of the US sub-prime mortgage crisis, Swedish media has reported....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Consumers want brands that challenge them - study
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China