FINLAND: Estonia PM dismisses alcohol tax rise
Estonia's Prime Minister has refused to increase his government's planned 20% hike in strong alcohol duty rates, despite pressure from neighbouring Finland for a steeper rise.
Visiting Helsinki, Juhan Parts heard arguments that next year's planned tax change would add only a few cents to a bottle of strong grain liquor which retails for about €3 in Estonia, while selling for €9 a bottle in Finland.
The contrast has fuelled personal Finnish alcohol imports, especially since Estonia joined the EU in May. Finnish officials say the proposed tax increases would add just "a few tens of cents" to a 50cl bottle of cheap spirits. However Estonia and the other Baltic states, Latvia and Lithuania, have just announced a working group tasked with jointly reaching minimum EU excise rates by 2008.
The Estonian government has also launched formal reforms to its excise system, although starting with fuel and petrol, recently tabling a bill in its parliament.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Europe's drinks companies start engines on CETA
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends