UK: Erdinger to target endurance sports with Alkoholfrei
Erdinger Weissbrau is repositioning its Alkoholfrei beer variant as a sports recovery drink in the UK, aimed specifically at triathlon participants in the country.
The German brewer said late last week that the UK re-launch of Erdinger Alkoholfrei, which contains under 0.5% abv, will be based on its positioning in Germany and Austria, where the beer has been a sponsor of endurance sports events for around ten years. The company will highlight the beer’s vitamins and minerals, as well as its isotonic credentials.
Marketing will focus on the off-trade sports category, with the beer hoping to sit alongside sport supplements and sports recovery drinks. Erdinger also said that it has confirmed sponsorship of nine UK triathlon events, including European qualifying events and British Championships.
“We want to support retailers and assist them in understanding the consumer need and the benefits of Erdinger Alkoholfrei compared to the ready-to-mix powdered sports drinks that are currently on offer,” said the company’s UK agent, Rob Hole.
Erdinger Alkoholfrei is available mainly in the UK off-trade, in branches of Tesco and Sainsbury’s supermarkets.
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research