FRANCE: Energy drinks under government safety body spotlight
Energy drinks and any related health impacts are under the spotlight in France
Energy drink consumption in France is under the spotlight after consumers were called on to report to their doctor any "adverse effects" they suffer as a part of a national government study.
Government food safety body ANSES, which is conducting the research, has said preliminary results show that 27% of consumers under 35 also consume energy drinks in conjunction with alcohol "at least occasionally". ANSES has also raised concerns about the rise of energy drinks consumption in relation to "sporting activities".
The agency said it recently received "several reports" concerning adverse effects with a suspected link to consumption of energy drinks, including "two fatal cases".
ANSES said: "The agency invites individuals who have noticed adverse effects following consumption of these beverages to contact a health professional who should declare the cases brought to their attention to ANSES via the nutritional vigilance scheme."
The body also issued a warning about who should avoid energy drinks. "ANSES wishes to emphasise that energy drinks must not be consumed by children, are to be avoided during pregnancy, and should be consumed in moderation. Unlike sports drinks, energy drinks should not be consumed in conjunction with intense physical exercise," it said.
Sectors: Soft drinks
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Absolut rebound paints rosy picture for Pernod
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends