SOUTH KOREA: Energy drinks sales slump on health fears - report
South Korea is turning away from energy drinks
Energy drinks in South Korea have suffered a sharp slowdown in store sales because of health concerns, according to a local report.
7-Eleven reported a 1.1% sales rise in May compared to last year, while Ministop saw sales drop by 2% in the first half of the year, Yonhap news agency reported today (18 June). In January, 7-Eleven energy drinks sales surged by 123% over a year prior, the report said.
Meanwhile, discount retailer E-Mart Co said that, over the past five weeks, energy drinks sales increased by 7.5% compared to a 97.5% rise for the first four months of the year.
"The energy drinks market is losing steam,” a 7-Eleven official was quoted as saying. “There is a growing awareness that drinking the high caffeine beverage carries health risks, which has put a damper on its sales.”
The slump comes despite Red Bull slashing prices in the country by about 35% over the past year.
The CEO of Monster Beverage Corp said this month that he would not get pulled into a price war with Red Bull in South Korea and warned that the price cuts are unsustainable.
According to the global company website, Red Bull is focusing on the core markets of Western Europe and the US, as well as the growth markets of Brazil, Japan, India and China. The company is also con...
Functional Drinks in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast ...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Sports and Fitness Nutrition Foods and Drinks in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Sports/Energy Foods, and Sports/Energy Drinks....
This report analyzes the Global market for Sports and Fitness Nutrition Supplements in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Amino Acids/Derivatives, Herbal Products, Prohormones, Vitamins/Mi...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets