USA: Endurox R4 loses out as USOC flexes its muscles
Endurox R4, the latest sports drink produced by PacificHealth Laboratories, received a rebuff of Olympic proportions yesterday when the organisers of the world's greatest athletics tournament pulled the plug on its first advertising campaign.PacificHealth accused the US Olympic Committee (USOC) of using "strongarm tactics" in persuading the newspaper USA Today to drop its full-page advertisement offering free samples of the drink to athletes competing at the Games in Sydney, Australia. Chairman and CEO of PacificHealth Laboratories, Dr Robert Portman, said in a statement that the ad was "consistent with copy guidelines regarding product advertising and the Olympics" and had been cleared by the USA Today lawyers. Endurox R4 purports to enhance stamina and endurance and, as a nutritional beverage, has shown to improve muscle recovery after strenuous exercise in clinical trials, Dr Portman claims.The company's embarrassment was also shared by Beverage Online Newsletter yesterday after managing editor, Judy Rice, highlighted the product in her weekly update to subscribers. She called the promotion "clever and conscientious" and concluded: "For PacificHealth, it looks like a win-win situation."A spokesman for the USOC declined to comment on the affair.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)