SPAIN: Emperador Inc lines up vineyard buy for brandy expansion
Emperador produces the world's best-selling brandy
Emperador Inc's Spanish unit has agreed to buy 230 hectares of vineyard in Toledo as the Philippine company looks to up its global brandy reach.
Grupo Emperador Spain said that the land, next to a vineyard owned by Emperador's JV with González Byass, will “gives us the capacity to expand our global market”. The deal, announced yesterday (15 July), is part of Emperador's plan to hold 2,000 hectares of Spanish vineyards by 2016.
Financial details of the deal were not disclosed.
Jorge Domecq, Emperador Spain's MD, said the new vineyards will benefit from technology that increases yields to five-times the national average. “This will very well support the raw material requirements for our brandy production,” Domecq said.
Emperador, based in Makati City, is best-known for its namesake brandy, which is the world's biggest selling. The group also produces Generoso Brandy and Emperador Light.
Yesterday's appointment news from Diageo has echoes of a similar HR switch at SABMiller two years ago - a question of perceived suitability....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends