PHILIPPINES/INDIA: Emperador confirms talks over Whyte & Mackay buy
Diageo has offered to sell the "bulk" of Whyte & Mackay
In a filing this week, the Philippines-based group said: “We confirm that Emperador Inc is in ongoing discussions with United Spirits (Great Britain) Ltd, regarding Emperador’s interest in purchasing the Whyte and Mackay spirits business in the UK.”
The filing added: “No agreement has yet been reached in this regard and Emperador is constantly on the look-out for opportunities to expand its liquor business both domestically and globally.”
The statement to the Philippines Stock Exchange, made by the Alliance Global Group Inc subsidiary, was in response to media reports that it had begun talks over acquiring the Scotch whisky producer. The deal is reportedly worth around US$675m.
Whyte & Mackay is effectively controlled by Diageo, as the UK drinks firm is the largest shareholder in its parent company, India's United Spirits, and is moving to take majority control.
Diageo has offered to sell the “bulk” of Whyte & Mackay's assets to satisfy competitons concerns in the UK over its control of the Scotch whisky market.
The UK's Competition & Markets Authority has been running a consultation on the offer. Earlier this week, a spokesperson at the body declined to say when the outcome of the consultation will be published.
Numerous other companies are reportedly interested in Whyte & Mackay, including Lion Capital, KKR, Gruppo Campari and ThaiBev.
The world’s leading spirits producer, Diageo also ranks 23rd in the global wine market. This profile analyses the challenges faced by Diageo’s wine operations, which sit uncomfortably with the company...
Another day, another drinks executive stepping down "to explore new opportunities". Usually, this is code for "is leaving to join one of our competitors in a slightly better-paid position". But, with ...
Analyses of the leading companies in the alcohol industry...
Spirits in Global industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains...
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends