FRANCE: Emerging markets slow, but Pernod Ricard sees FY sales, profits rise
- Full-year net profits rise by 3% to EUR1.21bn (US$1.62bn)
- Net sales in 12 months to end of June increase by 4% to EUR8.58bn
- Operating profits also up, by 6% to EUR2.23bn
- Growth "in line with stated guidance"
Pernod Ricard said its operating profits growth in the full-year was in line with stated guidance
A second-half slowdown in its emerging markets has failed to stop Pernod Ricard posting sales and profits growth in its fiscal full-year.
The company said earlier today (29 August) that net profits in the 12 months to the end of June were up by 3% year-on-year, hitting EUR1.21bn (US$1.62bn). Net sales for the year rose by 4% to EUR8.58bn, while operating profits increased by 6%, hitting EUR2.23bn.
Growth of 10% in the emerging regions was hampered by a poorer perfomance in the second half of the year, Pernod said, particularly in China. The country's economic performance is slowing, while the introduction late last year of anti-austentatious measures by the Government is hitting international spirit sales.
The US performed well, with sales climbing by 8%, although France saw sales fall by 7% year-on-year. Sales from Europe were split: Eastern Europe was up by 11%, with Russia leaping by 16%, although Western Europe fell by 3%, thanks primarily to a tough year in the Spanish market.
The numbers are broadly in line with the half-year results, released in February, that showed a 5% lift in net profits and a 6% rise in both net sales and operating profits.
For the fourth quarter of the fiscal year, net sales were flat, inching up by 1% to EUR1.93bn, as the disposal of several non-core European spirits brands to Arcus-Gruppen last year pulled back the performance. In organic terms, however, Q4 sales rose by 5%, with The Americas leading the way, delivering a 9% lift in sales.
“Despite a less buoyant environment than that of last year, we achieved our guidance,” said CEO Pierre Pringuet. “Our global and balanced exposure to emerging and mature markets will allow us to seize all opportunities. We therefore remain confident in our ability to pursue our growth.”
Pernod's shares opened up slightly this morning: At 0907 CEST, they were trading at EUR91.19, a rise of 0.5%.
For an in-depth review of Pernod's FY performance both regionally and by brand, click here.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
Antonia McCahon has been Pernod Ricard's head of digital for four-and-a-half months, taking on the newly-created post after working with a range of consumer goods companies. just-drinks caught up with...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Over the last 10 years of rapid acquisitions, Pernod Ricard has built a strong portfolio of premium brands on a global scale. Most of its brands enjoy a leading position in international markets. The ...
Wine in Ireland industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile a...
We all know by now that, if you're working for an international spirits company and the Chinese market is a big deal for you, then you haven't been sleeping too well for the past year or so....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018