US: E&J Gallo Winery buys Las Rocas
E&J Gallo has bought Spanish wine brand Las Rocas in order to increase its presence in the growing Spanish wine category in the US.
Gallo said today (9 February) that it has bought Las Rocas from European Cellars for an undisclosed fee. It will begin importing Las Rocas wines in April 2009.
A Gallo spokesperson told just-drinks today: "For Gallo, the Las Rocas deal is important from the standpoint of increasing our presence in a growing category (Spain)."
Las Rocas wines are produced by Bodegas San Alejandro in Miedes, Spain, and European Cellars' founder, Eric Solomon, will continue to consult with the winemakers on the products.
The brand was launched in the US in 2003 and its Las Rocas Garnacha is priced at $12, with the Viñas Viejas Garnacha priced at $18. Both wines are made only with the grenache grape varietal.
The Gallo spokesperson added: "Grenache is increasing in popularity around the world, and it represents a tremendous red wine value to US consumers. In terms of size, Las Rocas is a fairly small brand for now and we hope to grow that substantially over the coming years."
Last month, ex-Brown-Forman exec David Cox became Europe director for New Zealand Winegrowers. He spoke with Chris Mercer about what attracted him to working for a generic body and about New Zealand's...
In spite of the tough conditions, rising alcohol duties and the grim task of cutting his UK workforce, George Marsden, E&J Gallo's vice president and general manager for Europe, is relishing what he c...
Appealing to younger consumers may be vital in ensuring a healthy future for the wine sector but it is easier said than done. New research from Wine Intelligence which segments the wine market into si...
A new report from IWSR and just-drinks suggests New World wine producers will continue to grow their share of the market. But while the New World can expect good growth in emerging wine markets, the O...
Foster's Group has confirmed the appointment of a chief marketing officer for North America at its wine estates division....
Gallo Family Vineyards has launched an off-trade promotion for its wine range in the UK....
Pernod Ricard has said that it is considering making around 20 redundancies at its UK unit....
Pernod Ricard has announced that its senior vice-president for trade relations in the US, Chuck Smith, is to retire....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Asahi loses Q1 sales overseas
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?