UK: E&J Gallo to cut jobs
Wine giant E&J Gallo plans to cut up to 50 jobs in the UK, blaming the move on tax rises and a tough economic climate.
A spokesperson for the California wine giant told just-drinks today (23 January) that the group has opened a 30-day consultation with employees in the UK.
While she emphasised that "no decision has yet been made", she conceded that job cuts, possibly up to 50, were likely. "Largely driving this action is the 17% increase in duty tax last year," she said.
Gallo's move will add to a growing sense of anxiety in the UK wine sector.
Gallo rival Constellation Europe told just-drinks before Christmas that it, too, would have to cut around 50 jobs in the UK. It blamed the tax rise, which was applied by ministers to all alcoholic drinks last year, and also a slowdown on the country's wine market.
The Gallo spokesperson said today that volume sales in the wine sector were decreasing, but that "Gallo sales over Christmas were very strong".
Fears are growing in the industry, however.
Industry sources have told just-drinks in recent weeks that more job cuts are likely in the UK as the wine sector struggles to absorb extra costs amid one of the worst economic downturns for decades.
Gallo said in a statement that it is considering "new business models" in the UK and Europe, but added that "we remain committed to the UK and European markets in which we have long-standing relationships with customers and consumers".
In spite of the tough conditions, rising alcohol duties and the grim task of cutting his UK workforce, George Marsden, E&J Gallo’s vice president and general manager for Europe, is relishing what he c...
Last month, ex-Brown-Forman exec David Cox became Europe director for New Zealand Winegrowers. He spoke with Chris Mercer about what attracted him to working for a generic body and about New Zealand's...
In spite of the tough conditions, rising alcohol duties and the grim task of cutting his UK workforce, George Marsden, E&J Gallo's vice president and general manager for Europe, is relishing what he c...
Constellation Europe is launching a special sales kit for its Stowells wine brand, in order to improve sales across the on-trade....
Crown Imports has appointed an Hispanic agency of record for Corona Extra and Modelo Especial in the US....
Pernod Ricard has said that it is considering making around 20 redundancies at its UK unit....
Constellation Europe has lined up a Chilean extension of its on-trade wine brand, Jack Rabbit, in the UK....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research