TURKEY: Efes Q3 profits down on cost increases
Turkish brewer Efes Breweries International has posted a drop in third-quarter profit as a result of increases in raw material costs.
For the nine months to 30 September, net profit dropped to US$15.8m from $44.7m in the comparable period last year, Efes said today (17 November).
Increased volatility and slowing economic activity in the company's operating markets had an impact on Efes' operating performance, dropping it to $52.1m from $81.4m in the previous year.
However, consolidated net sales revenue increased by 31.4% year-on-year, reaching US$861.1m. Net revenue per hl increased by 22.2% on the back of local currency price increases, strengthening of local currencies versus USD, EBI's reporting currency, and positive brandmix impact.
"While we managed our cost base to limit the impact of raw material cost increases on our profitability, the increased volatility and slowing economic activity in our operating markets, especially in the third quarter is visible in our operating performance," said Alejandro Jimenez, CEO and chairman.
"Although we still expect our sales volume growth to be ahead of the market growth in all operating markets in 2008, we expect the challenging conditions to continue in the fourth quarter of the year."
Andalou Efes has reported a slide in full-year net profit for 2008, despite an increase in sales....
Efes Breweries International has reported a slip in full-year operating profit for 2008, despite an increase in net sales in the period....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China