Product Launch - GLOBAL: Edrington's Highland Park Dark Origins
Edrington's Highland Park Dark Origins
Category - Spirits, whisky, Scotch, Orkney, single malt, 46.8%
Available - From this month
Location - Initially in the UK, before rolling out “internationally”
Price - In UK, GBP64.95 (US$111.25) per bottle
Distribution - Edrington
Edrington has announced an addition to the core range of its Highland Park Scotch whisky brand. Dark Origins will be available exclusively from Harrods in the UK from 1 to 14 July, then in specialist independent whisky retailers.
The expression highlights the story of Magnus Eunson, who founded Highland Park in the 18th Century.
A global roll-out will follow in the Autumn.
Highland Park today announced the launch of a new core expression inspired by the cunning spirit and courageous personality of its founder, Magnus Eunson.
Establishing a secret bunker in the hills of High Park in Orkney, Magnus ‘Mansie’ Eunson became a famed dark distiller back in the late 1700s, creating whisky for the people of Orkney to offer relief from the villainy of the tax collector. By day he worked tirelessly in his church providing spiritual guidance to the people of Orkney, but in the dead of night, he hand crafted what was to ultimately become the best spirit in the world, warming hearts and uniting all who tasted it.
Dark Origins, a stunning, non-chill filtered single malt with an ABV of 46.8%, will start to appear on shelves in July and roll out internationally throughout autumn 2014.
It uses twice as many first fill sherry casks than in the classic Highland Park 12 year old resulting in a naturally darker, richer flavour with sherried spice, a chocolate twist and the signature sweet smoke fans of the Orcadian elixir have come to know and love.
Highland Park is one of the few distilleries not using distiller’s caramel and so Dark Origins takes its natural colour from the interaction between spirit and cask which Highland Park believes consistently rate amongst the best casks in whisky.
Gerry Tosh, Global Marketing Manager, said: “Cask management is so very crucial to our work at Highland Park. We have strived to raise the bar, working tirelessly in sourcing the right wood and then working and finessing the balances to ensure we create single malt that is rich, warm and enticing in flavour. Dark Origins sits in the heart of our core range complementing them perfectly – distinct in itself, but always and forever a classic Highland Park.”
The tasting notes:
- Colour: Rich mahogany
- Nose: Sherried spice and ripe bananas combine with toasted hazelnuts and baked apple
- Palate: Well-balanced, dry peat at first mellowing out to maraschino cherries, warm dark
- Finish: Enduring sweet smoke
Dark Origins will be exclusively available from Harrods from 1st July to 14th July for £64.95. It will then be available from specialist independent whisky retailers, at the Highland Park distillery and www.highlandpark.co.uk thereafter.
Original source: Company Release
Edrington has released an online-only expression of a 28-year-old single cask Scotch whisky from its Glenturret distillery....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends