UK: Edrington to up The Macallan capacity with distillery build
Click through to view an artist's impression of the new site
The new production facility, which follows similar high investment projects from other Scotch makers, will take on full production of The Macallan when it is completed in 2017, an Edrington spokesperson told just-drinks today (28 November). The current distillery, on the same estate as the planned facilities, will then be mothballed.
The spokesperson said the project is at the “very preliminary stages of pre-planning” and a formal planning application will be lodged in April. Asked what the new capacity will be, the spokesperson said “it’s a significant increase in capacity”, adding, “it’s premature to be talking numbers".
UK architects Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners, who designed Heathrow's Terminal Five and luxury London housing development One Hyde Park, have been hired to work on the project. Construction is expected to begin next autumn, subject to planning approval.
Ian Curle, chief executive of Edrington, said: “This is a confident investment in the future of The Macallan and its home on Speyside. Our plan for the estate includes a contemporary distillery that embodies the international style of The Macallan and builds on the brand’s tradition of quality and craftsmanship.”
Edrington is the latest Scotch distiller to look to increase capacity as global demand for the spirit grows. Earlier this week, Diageo said it has completed a GBP14m expansion of two of its malt whisky distilleries, part of an overall GBP1bn investment programme in production first announced in June last year.
Diageo has lined up the third Bourbon expression from its Orphan Barrel Whiskey Distilling Co unit in the US....
A shortage of Corona Extra is expected in the UK as deliveries by brand owner Anheuser-Busch InBev have been delayed. ...
Beam Suntory Inc aims to boost online views of its Cruzan Rum marketing campaign seven-fold this year, as it launches a range of new digital ads....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- A step forward in alcohol research? ISFAR 191
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages