UK: Edrington to up The Macallan capacity with distillery build
Click through to view an artist's impression of the new site
The new production facility, which follows similar high investment projects from other Scotch makers, will take on full production of The Macallan when it is completed in 2017, an Edrington spokesperson told just-drinks today (28 November). The current distillery, on the same estate as the planned facilities, will then be mothballed.
The spokesperson said the project is at the “very preliminary stages of pre-planning” and a formal planning application will be lodged in April. Asked what the new capacity will be, the spokesperson said “it’s a significant increase in capacity”, adding, “it’s premature to be talking numbers".
UK architects Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners, who designed Heathrow's Terminal Five and luxury London housing development One Hyde Park, have been hired to work on the project. Construction is expected to begin next autumn, subject to planning approval.
Ian Curle, chief executive of Edrington, said: “This is a confident investment in the future of The Macallan and its home on Speyside. Our plan for the estate includes a contemporary distillery that embodies the international style of The Macallan and builds on the brand’s tradition of quality and craftsmanship.”
Edrington is the latest Scotch distiller to look to increase capacity as global demand for the spirit grows. Earlier this week, Diageo said it has completed a GBP14m expansion of two of its malt whisky distilleries, part of an overall GBP1bn investment programme in production first announced in June last year.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
Diageo has lined up the third Bourbon expression from its Orphan Barrel Whiskey Distilling Co unit in the US....
Business Monitor International's Cameroon Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory ...
A shortage of Corona Extra is expected in the UK as deliveries by brand owner Anheuser-Busch InBev have been delayed. ...
Alcoholic beverages are drinks that contain ethanol and are generally categorized into three types: beer, spirits (distilled beverages), and wine. Beer is an alcoholic beverage manufactured by the hyd...
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research