Product Launch – GLOBAL: Edrington Group's The Famous Grouse 40 Year Old
Click through to view an image of the product
Category – Blended Scotch whisky, 47.3% abv
Available/loacation – At Amsterdam airport from August exclusively for two months before a roll-out to global travel-retail in October and then Sweden, Taiwan, UK and Australia in November.
Price - GBP2,000 (US$3,045) for 70cl decanter
Distribution – Maxxium
The Famous Grouse 40 Year Old is the oldest variant ever to be released by the brand's owners, The Edrington Group.
Blended from four ex-sherry casks by former master blender John Ramsay, this new Scotch is limited to 276 decanters, which have been engraved by Scottish design firm Timorous Beasties.
Earlier this month, Edrington reported a slight rise in full-year sales, but a GBP274.8m (US$418.4m) write-down of its Brugal rum brand pushed its profits into the red.
The group last month confirmed details of a major shake-up of its global distribution network.
If Scotch sales receive an end-of-year bump this month, there's a good chance it is from whisky executives toasting a banner year for the brown stuff....
Changing demographics, growing economies, increased disposable income and the rise in international and business travel have all contributed to the burgeoning travel retail sector....
Greetings from Jerez in southern Spain, the home of the Sherry industry. I'm here with Edrington to learn about the importance of Sherry casks to the producers of Scotch whisky....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future