UK: Edrington Group to invest further in Highland Park distillery
Jason Craig, global controller of Highland Park, told just-drinks today (19 August) the company would be looking to invest a further GBP250,000 (US$413,000) in the brand, to include premium tours of the distillery.
Craig also said the company sees Asia as an important growth market for its Highland Park whisky brand.
He said that while the UK was the brand's biggest market, Asia has emerged as a significant market over the last few years, including Japan and Taiwan.
"The UK is our number one market and the second is global travel retail," Craig said. "The US is also a good market for us, as is Japan, and we are punching above our weight in Scandanavia. But Asia has emerged as a significant market over the last few years."
Edrington yesterday announced a GBP750,000 (US$1.2m) investment in its Highland Park Orkney distillery.
The investment includes a GBP250,000 revamp of the distillery visitor centre, a tasting room, a VIP room and a GBP500,000 replacement of two pagoda roofs.
Craigs said the investment was a bid to boost the brand's growth further.
"There have been around two or three areas of the brand that have changed over the last three years and Edrington therefore decided to invest GBP18m in marketing etc, to try and get the brand growing further.
"Because more and more people were visiting, we felt the visitor centre was a little bit 1980's and so the investment has been quite swift. The brand has grown 80% over the last four years and we are seeing a lot of overseas visitors, as well as from the UK."
Like the other sectors of our industry, the economy cast a shadow over the spirits category in 2009. The aftershocks of the downturn spread around the world, with Scotland appearing to be the epicentr...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read Interviews of 2009....
Russian Standard Vodka is switching distribution in Spain to Maxxium Espana as it prepares for a bigger sales push in the country....
Highland Park's The Earl Magnus Edition 1...
The Edrington Group has announced the closure of one of its facilities in Scotland....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends