GLOBAL: Edrington Group targets US$100,000 with The Macallan Lalique auction
Click again to see The Macallan Lalique decanter
The Edrington Group is gearing up for the final charity auction for its The Macallan single malt Scotch whisky brand this evening (15 November).
Having started a world tour of a 64-year-old variant of The Macallan in a Lalique decanter in April, the company is set to auction off the item in New York later today. The proceeds from the auction, expected to total around US$100,000, will be donated to Charity: Water, which provides drinking water to people in developing nations.
Lalique: Cire Perdue will go under the hammer at 1900 EST today at Sotheby's, with the bidding conducted by Jamie Ritchie, head of Sotheby’s Wine in the US and Asia.
Lalique’s decanter, created using the 'cire perdue' or 'lost wax' method, has been on a world tour since April, taking in Madrid, London, Moscow, Seoul, Hong Kong, Taipei, Shanghai, Singapore, Tokyo and Beverly Hills. A total of $145,000 has been raised on the way to New York, with 10cl drams of The Macallan 64-year-old being auctioned off at each stop.
A live stream of the event will be shown on The Macallan’s blog.
Following on from his introduction to the woes of the PIGS markets, the first part of this month's management briefing sees Richard Woodard focus more sharply on Spain and Portugal....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends