US: Edrington Group calls time on Rémy Cointreau distribution deal
Edrington has used Rémy in the US since 1985
The Glasgow-based Scotch whisky producer has distributed its brands, including Macallan and Famous Grouse, in the US through Rémy since 1985. The deal will end on 31 March, Remy said in a presentation following the release of its full-year results yesterday (11 June).
Edrington confirmed to just-drinks the distribution deal is to end, but declined to comment further on future plans.
A Rémy spokesperson told just-drinks Edrington is to take its US distribution in-house. “It is because now Macallan and Famous Grouse are working very well (in the US) - because of us,” the spokesperson said. However, the spokesperson added that Edrington has made a “fair decision”.
“It will be the end of a new contract, because the new contract comes around every three years," the spokesperson said.
Rémy Cointreau punches above its weight in spirits, having established itself as a major global player in cognac despite its relatively small size compared to Pernod Ricard and LVMH. China has been it...
Changing demographics, growing economies, increased disposable income and the rise in international and business travel have all contributed to the burgeoning travel retail sector....
For a category that sells around 146.4m cases annually, it may seem unusual to characterise Rum as a relatively unexploited opportunity. Indeed it is already a diverse and eclectic category with a wid...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future