US: Edrington Group calls time on Rémy Cointreau distribution deal
Edrington has used Rémy in the US since 1985
The Glasgow-based Scotch whisky producer has distributed its brands, including Macallan and Famous Grouse, in the US through Rémy since 1985. The deal will end on 31 March, Remy said in a presentation following the release of its full-year results yesterday (11 June).
Edrington confirmed to just-drinks the distribution deal is to end, but declined to comment further on future plans.
A Rémy spokesperson told just-drinks Edrington is to take its US distribution in-house. “It is because now Macallan and Famous Grouse are working very well (in the US) - because of us,” the spokesperson said. However, the spokesperson added that Edrington has made a “fair decision”.
“It will be the end of a new contract, because the new contract comes around every three years," the spokesperson said.
2013 was a transformative year for Edrington as it severed its 28-year distribution agreement with Rémy Cointreau to take direct control over its own distribution network in the US. This is a key move...
Rémy Cointreau punches above its weight in spirits, having established itself as a major global player in cognac despite its relatively small size compared to Pernod Ricard and LVMH. China has been it...
Changing demographics, growing economies, increased disposable income and the rise in international and business travel have all contributed to the burgeoning travel retail sector....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- just Five Years Ago - The Birth of Accolade Wines
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Beam Suntory appoints chief HR officer
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research