US: Edrington Group calls time on Rémy Cointreau distribution deal
Edrington has used Rémy in the US since 1985
The Glasgow-based Scotch whisky producer has distributed its brands, including Macallan and Famous Grouse, in the US through Rémy since 1985. The deal will end on 31 March, Remy said in a presentation following the release of its full-year results yesterday (11 June).
Edrington confirmed to just-drinks the distribution deal is to end, but declined to comment further on future plans.
A Rémy spokesperson told just-drinks Edrington is to take its US distribution in-house. “It is because now Macallan and Famous Grouse are working very well (in the US) - because of us,” the spokesperson said. However, the spokesperson added that Edrington has made a “fair decision”.
“It will be the end of a new contract, because the new contract comes around every three years," the spokesperson said.
Rémy Cointreau punches above its weight in spirits, having established itself as a major global player in cognac despite its relatively small size compared to Pernod Ricard and LVMH. China has been it...
Changing demographics, growing economies, increased disposable income and the rise in international and business travel have all contributed to the burgeoning travel retail sector....
For a category that sells around 146.4m cases annually, it may seem unusual to characterise Rum as a relatively unexploited opportunity. Indeed it is already a diverse and eclectic category with a wid...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report