UK: Edrington gets green light for The Macallan Distillery
Edrington will begin construction of The Macallan's new distillery in October
The company, which unveiled its plans to upgrade The Macallan's current distillery on Speyside to a new facility on the same plot of land late last year, was granted planning permission by The Moray Council earlier today. Construction will begin in October.
Capacity details are not yet available, although the company confirmed back in November that the capacity rise will be “significant”. The current site has an annual capacity of 10m litres.
“Only the external appearance of the distillery will change,” said Graham Hutcheon, Edrington's group operations director. “The quality of The Macallan … will not be compromised. We look forward to starting on site soon.”
The distillery and a new visitor centre are set to open in the Spring next year.
This week, we speak to the CEO of Zodiac Spirits, and just-drinks subscriber, Dan Liguori....
Edrington has launched a new The Famous Grouse expression as it attempts to "challenge perceptions" around blended Scotch....
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Global Travel Retail - What is the Grey Market?
- The European beer market - Focus
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Corporate Relations Director to leave Diageo
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard pairs Usain Bolt with Mumm Champagne