EU: EC's alcohol duty rise under threat
The European Commission's compromise deal over a small 4.5% rise in minimum excise duty rates for alcohol across the European Union (EU) looks in trouble after the European Parliament's plenary today rejected the agreement.
This had been negotiated with the EU Council of Ministers, representing member states, and was later supported by the EP economic and monetary affairs committee. Parliament's powers over taxation are purely advisory, but its lawyers think that MEPs will now have to make an alternative proposal before the council can vote on the 4.5% hike.
This would delay a final decision to September and beyond, parliament officials told just-drinks.com. "This is a highly unusual situation," said one. "This was not a legislative resolution, just a rejection of an earlier proposal."
A further stage towards enacting the long-awaited reform of European wine policy has been a review of the European Commission's proposals by the European Parliament's agriculture committee. As the par...
Continuity of brand message may be sound marketing practice, but Annette Farr wonders whether Coke's Christmas advertising chimes with the times. Rather than re-running old ads, she suggests Coke coul...
Alcohol harm is back at the top of the media agenda this week - is it ever away for long? The Alcohol Health Alliance, a newly-formed association of 24 leading health organisations in the UK, is c...
China's entry into the WTO has been a catalyst for further growth in imported spirits but the likes of Diageo and Pernod Ricard are not the only ones eyeing the growth potential. Counterfeiters are al...
The promotion of responsible drinking in the UK is having a positive effect on the country's drinking habits, according to recent research....
The Distilled Spirits Council (DISCUS) has unveiled industry-wide guidelines for advertising and marketing on the Internet in the US....
Vinmonopolet has seen sales continue their rise in 2007....
The Portman Group has responded to the Office for National Statistics' plans to update its drinking surveys in the UK....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends