EU: EC's alcohol duty rise under threat
The European Commission's compromise deal over a small 4.5% rise in minimum excise duty rates for alcohol across the European Union (EU) looks in trouble after the European Parliament's plenary today rejected the agreement.
This had been negotiated with the EU Council of Ministers, representing member states, and was later supported by the EP economic and monetary affairs committee. Parliament's powers over taxation are purely advisory, but its lawyers think that MEPs will now have to make an alternative proposal before the council can vote on the 4.5% hike.
This would delay a final decision to September and beyond, parliament officials told just-drinks.com. "This is a highly unusual situation," said one. "This was not a legislative resolution, just a rejection of an earlier proposal."
A further stage towards enacting the long-awaited reform of European wine policy has been a review of the European Commission's proposals by the European Parliament's agriculture committee. As the par...
Continuity of brand message may be sound marketing practice, but Annette Farr wonders whether Coke's Christmas advertising chimes with the times. Rather than re-running old ads, she suggests Coke coul...
Alcohol harm is back at the top of the media agenda this week - is it ever away for long? The Alcohol Health Alliance, a newly-formed association of 24 leading health organisations in the UK, is c...
China's entry into the WTO has been a catalyst for further growth in imported spirits but the likes of Diageo and Pernod Ricard are not the only ones eyeing the growth potential. Counterfeiters are al...
The promotion of responsible drinking in the UK is having a positive effect on the country's drinking habits, according to recent research....
The Distilled Spirits Council (DISCUS) has unveiled industry-wide guidelines for advertising and marketing on the Internet in the US....
Vinmonopolet has seen sales continue their rise in 2007....
The Portman Group has responded to the Office for National Statistics' plans to update its drinking surveys in the UK....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Pernod takes Absolut Warhol push to Travel Retail
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014