SWEDEN: Economic crisis brings Vin & Sprit privatisation forward – report
The privatisation of Swedish state-owned alcohol concern Vin & Sprit has been brought forward as an indirect result of the US sub-prime mortgage crisis, Swedish media has reported.
State-owned mortgage lender SBAB was next on the list of the Conservative government's SEK200bn (US$31.88bn) sell-off of state assets, but a global credit squeeze has scuppered the sale, bringing Vin & Sprit's privatisation to the front of the queue, the Svenska Dagbladet newspaper said today (14 November).
The government is falling short, in the first year of the programme, of its aim of SEK50bn a year in revenue from the sales and Vin & Sprit, which analysts estimate is worth around US$6bn, would easily make up the shortfall. The sale has attracted interest from Fortune Brands, Pernod Ricard, Bacardi and Diageo.
A Swedish finance ministry spokesman told just-drinks that it would not comment on the reports.
The Government has struggled to organise its privatisation programme. Private bank Carnegie quit as advisers to the government after an insider trading scandal erupted and the Government committee in charge of the privatisation programme is looking for a new chair after the previous one resigned.
10 things you should know about... Vin & Sprit...
In anticipation of the London International Wine Fair, Chris Losh has put together a few questions, touching on some of the imponderable puzzlements of the drinks industry, for visitors to mull over, ...
Fermented soft drinks include some very established brands among their ranks, produced to age-old family recipes. But, writes Philip Tappenden, these drinks also offer some of the natural and function...
Pernod Ricard's victory in the race to buy Vin & Sprit has sent shockwaves across the global spirits industry, whilst also throwing up a vast array of questions. In a spotlight special, Jessica Harvey...
The first chief executive of the UK's Drinkaware Trust has surprisingly stepped down after less than a year in the position....
Beverage Brands has redesigned its WKD brand's packaging with a simplified text to stand out on shelves in the UK during the summer....
Increased excise on pre-mixed spirits in Australia is expected to boost beer sales for Foster's and Lion Nathan....
Coors Brewers has announced plans to support the UK government's 'Harm Reduction Strategy' by carrying additional sensible drinking advice on its beers....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages