SOUTH AFRICA: Eckes gears up to spoil Pernod's Polish party
The German alcohol producer Eckes is to further spoil Pernod Ricard's Polish vodka dreams by announcing that it is looking to bid for one of the five Polish vodka distilleries presently up for grabs.A public relations representative of the German company told the Polish press this week that Eckes was particularly interested in one of the three leading Polmoses, Poznan, Bialystock or Zielona Gora.However the choice and decision to buy will depend on market conditions and will take time to make, the source said.The news will be of concern to Pernod particularly over Poznan and Bialystock, which produce the brands Wyborowa and Zubrowka respectively - brands which Pernod had, until recently, the international distribution rights for and is looking to buy itself.The Germans would look to sell the vodka in the five European countries where it has factories and distribution networks, according to the Polish report. The company has a 10% share of the German alcohol market, 19% in Austria and 30% in the Czech republic.The Polish government is planning to put all 21 Polmoses up for privatisation, but to date has only opened negotiations for five, namely Poznan, Bialystock, Zielona Gora, Zyrardow and Lublin.Among the other international firms thought to be preparing a bid for the five on the market already is Swedish drinks monopoly Vin & Sprit, the owner of Absolut Vodka.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review