SOUTH AFRICA: Eckes gears up to spoil Pernod's Polish party
The German alcohol producer Eckes is to further spoil Pernod Ricard's Polish vodka dreams by announcing that it is looking to bid for one of the five Polish vodka distilleries presently up for grabs.A public relations representative of the German company told the Polish press this week that Eckes was particularly interested in one of the three leading Polmoses, Poznan, Bialystock or Zielona Gora.However the choice and decision to buy will depend on market conditions and will take time to make, the source said.The news will be of concern to Pernod particularly over Poznan and Bialystock, which produce the brands Wyborowa and Zubrowka respectively - brands which Pernod had, until recently, the international distribution rights for and is looking to buy itself.The Germans would look to sell the vodka in the five European countries where it has factories and distribution networks, according to the Polish report. The company has a 10% share of the German alcohol market, 19% in Austria and 30% in the Czech republic.The Polish government is planning to put all 21 Polmoses up for privatisation, but to date has only opened negotiations for five, namely Poznan, Bialystock, Zielona Gora, Zyrardow and Lublin.Among the other international firms thought to be preparing a bid for the five on the market already is Swedish drinks monopoly Vin & Sprit, the owner of Absolut Vodka.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Interview- Veltins export manager Udo Bruns
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages