GERMANY: Eckes employees demonstrate against alcohol arm sale
According to local union representatives some 150 Eckes workers demonstrated against the decision to put the alcohol arm up for sale at the company’s factory in Nieder-Olm, western Germany.
Eckes officials put the figure closer to 60-80 demonsrators.
Union officals said that selling the alcohol division is a mistake, as Eckes’ alcohol and juice making divisions complement each other.
A total of 765 employees work in the company's alcohol business. Eckes alcohol sales revenue, including alcohol duties, totalled €678m (US$670m) for 2001, some 50% of its total revenue.
The company plans to focus on its juice making business in the future.
Eckes announced that it is to pull out of the alcoholic drinks business earlier this month. The company said it expected to improve profitability by concentrating on its fruit juice and nectars business, with the spirits arena becoming increasingly competitive.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Allied Domecq has added a new flavour to its Malibu range. The company said yesterday that it would be launching Malibu Passion Fruit in the US from April 15....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
Fideuram Wargny has upgraded its rating of Pernod Ricard to 'buy' from 'hold'. Its analysts argue that the merger talks with Allied Domecq is a catalyst for share growth....
Beringer Blass Wine Estates (BBWE), the Napa-based wine company, is to launch a wine a California wine "designed by women expressly for the US female consumer"....
Fortune Brands has started making moves to acquire in the European drinks industry, according to press reports....
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
Spanish beer maker San Miguel has launched the new San Miguel 0.0% Apple to continue expanding in the country's booming market for alcohol-free brews....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts