EUR: ECJ rules against Anheuser-Busch InBev in Budweiser row
One up to Budejovicky Budvar against Anheuser-Busch InBev over Budweiser
The European Court of Justice has ruled that Anheuser-Busch InBev cannot register the name Budweiser as a trademark across the EU.
The trademark for the word already belongs to the Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar, the ECJ said yesterday (29 July).
The decision of Europe's highest court follows A-B InBev's attempts to register Budweiser as its trademark in the EU in 1996. The global brewer's initial application to the Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market was rejected in favour of Budvar's earlier registration, leading to A-B InBev appealing to the high court.
“For us, it is very much a stabilising factor as far as our position in the EU goes,” said Budvar’s lawyer, Helena Lejtnarová.
However, the vice president for global communications at A-B InBev, Marianne Amssoms, countered that the judgment has no effect on the company's business in Europe or its existing Bud or Budweiser rights.
Budejovicky Budvar is the only one allowed to use the Budweiser name in 19 EU countries, most notably Germany. “In another eight, it belongs to the other side of the dispute and in UK to both,” Petr Samec of Budvar told just-drinks today.
One of the first signs of madness, I was always told, is talking to yourself. If that's the case, then Larry Nelson may have finally lost it. Before we cart him off, though, let's listen in on his and...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research