SWEDEN: EC tells Sweden to relax drinks laws
At present under Swedish law, private individuals are, under certain conditions, only allowed to bring alcohol into Sweden for their own use, if they do so personally.
However, if consumers in Sweden cannot themselves physically transport the product into the country, their only option is to request Systembolaget, the national alcohol retail monopoly, to bring it in on their behalf. They are not allowed to request other intermediaries to do so.
The Swedish authorities argue that the ban is necessary for health protection reasons.
However, the Commission said yesterday that it believes that an individual residing in Sweden should not be precluded from purchasing products available on the market in other Member States.
"National provisions hindering such access create a trade barrier, which is not remedied by allowing consumers to request Systembolaget to bring in alcohol. The Commission's view is that protecting human health from the effects of excessive alcohol consumption could be achieved by other means that restrict trade between the Member States less," it said.
The result of this is that Swedish drinkers may, among other things, may now be able to order drinks over the internet or by mail-order from abroad.
The EC's letter to the Swedish authorities is only a "reasoned opinion", however it could pave the way to court action if Sweden does not comply.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends