GREECE: EC takes Greece to court in Ouzo battle
The European Commission is to take Greece to the European Court of Justice. The EC has lost patience with Greece in its fight to end the Mediterranean country's preferential excise duty rate for alcohol used to manufacture the Greek spirit Ouzo.Brussels claims that Athens has failed to take action following a formal legal warning letter.The reduced rate is half of that applied to other spirits, such as gin, vodka, whisky and rum, including those brands produced in other EU member states.The Treaty of European Union forbids EU countries from using tax discrimination to give protection to their own products against those imported from other member states.Keith Nuthall
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends