ITALY: EC pushes for energy drink liberalisation
The European Commission is pushing Italy to comply with a July 2003 European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruling that required it to amend legislation limiting the amount of caffeine in locally-sold energy drinks to 125mg per litre.
The Court found the legislation a barrier to the free movement of goods because it effectively banned some imported energy drinks in Italy, which could face ECJ fines over the row if it refuses to comply.
Said a Commission statement: "The majority of energy drinks on the EU market contain significantly more than 125mg/litre." Brussels has sent Italy a formal notice that it should liberalise its law.
Sectors: Soft drinks
The functional drinks sector remains something of a niche market in Eastern Europe but there is clearly growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, assesses the state o...
Functional drinks have been a growth area of the US soft drinks market since the late-1990s. Roger Dilworth reports on the development of the sector and current brand activity....
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
The global energy drinks market registered a healthy rise in sales last year, according to recent figures....
Hansen Natural Corporation today announced it is launching three new energy drinks: Monster Energy Khaos in 16oz cans; Lost Five-0 in 16oz cans; and Lost Perfect 10 in 16oz cans....
With the introduction of Powerade Option, announced this week, Coca-Cola hopes to challenge PepsiCo's hold on the sports drink market....
Coca-Cola has launched a low-calorie sports drinks called POWERade OPTION, which it hopes will challenge the dominance of rival Gatorade in the sector. The new brand will hit shelves across the US thi...
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends