BELGIUM: EC limits Interbrew exclusivity agreements
The brewer either owns cafes and rents them out, or provides cafe owners with loans or rental equipment. The cafes in turn accept Interbrew as the sole provider of the company's beer.
Partly as a consequence of these arrangements Interbrew dominates the Belgian market with a 56% share of the hotel, restaurant and café/pub market.
However after reviewing this set up, the Commission has said that Interbrew's agreements with 7,000 outlets tied to it by loans would be limited to draught pils, while a further 3,000 outlets leased and sub-leased from the firm would only apply to draught beer.
"Consumers will now have additional choice of beer brands in more than 10,000 outlets which have so far been exclusively supplied by Interbrew," said European Competition Commissioner Mario Monti in a statement.
These changes the Commission believes will stop the agreements appreciably restricting competition. They will come into effect within two months, it said.
Companies: Anheuser-Busch InBev
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
SUN Interbrew is looking to relinquish its stake in Pivoindustriya Primorya....
Interbrew UK has poached two marketing managers from rival brewers....
Interbrew is to place a £1m support package behind its Czech brand Staropramen in the UK....
InBev has announced that the deadline for the receipt of acceptances for the recommended offers of US$33.41 for the remaining Class A (non-voting) shares in SUN Interbrew, along with Class A Securitie...
SUN Interbrew is looking to buy into a Siberian brewer, according to local press reports....
Interbrew UK has announced plans to launch a new speciality beer....
InBev has extended the deadline for the receipt of acceptances for the recommended offers of USD33.41 in cash for the remaining shares and Securities that it does not already own in SUN Interbrew (SIL...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends