EU: EC commissioner expresses concern over distillation claims
Franz Fischler, EU agriculture commissioner for wine, said it was "quite worrying" that member states wanted to grant "pure operating aids which do not bring about any structural improvement."
Fischler said France and Portugal requested approval of state-aid schemes designed to bridge the gap between cash paid to producers for crisis distillation and the higher aid level under voluntary
Separately the Commission said that a request by Spain for the crisis distillation of 2.6m hectolitres of wine has been approved in full.
Spain had made its request in February but was told it would have to wait as the budget for wine distillation had been exhausted. However other
countries, principally Germany, have now given up part of their entitlements.
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends