US: Earnings down in first quarter at Brown-Forman
US spirits and wines group, Brown-Forman, posted a profit of $36.1m, or 53 cents a share, for the first quarter to the end of July, down 8% from $39.2m, 57 cents, in the corresponding quarter last year. The company said it had absorbed the impact of shifting to selling spirits directly to retailers in the UK, its second largest market, during the first quarter. In May, the company announced it would be selling spirits directly from the beginning of August via a joint venture with Bacardi. It said the initiative, which brought a previous distribution deal with Diageo to a close, reduced first-quarter earnings by about 13 cents, largely due to a change in the way it booked revenue.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Why has Heineken made a Formula 1 U-turn?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview