US/EUROPE: Duvel Moortgat to launch Boulevard beers in Europe
Duvel took a majority stake in Boulevard last October
Duvel Moortgat is planning to expand capacity at its new asset, Boulevard Brewing Company, before launching a select range of the US brewer’s craft beers in the UK and parts of Europe later this year.
The Belgium brewer took a majority stake in the Kansas-based company last October for a reported US$100m. But Boulevard is currently at full capacity while catering for US demand.
Speaking to just-drinks today (14 January), Duvel’s London-based general manager, Matthew Willson, said the company is aiming to launch some of the Boulevard range in selected European markets by “the back end of summer”. “We have work to do on increasing the capacity at Boulevard but are focussing on that over the next six months,” he said.
Willson said Boulevard has “a whole raft of beers”, but only “the right beers for the right markets” will be launched in Europe. He suggested the UK will be a target initially with the region’s thirst for craft beer, with the Nordic countries other possible targets.
Duvel has also set up a London office, in the Old Truman Brewery on Brick Lane, to handle all its distribution, marketing and sales activities in the UK, as it ups its focus on the region. “Our brands are in strong growth and we have an exciting programme of consumer, trade and brand initiatives, which we will be bringing to market later this year,” Willson added.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- Comment - Another One Bites Bacardi's Dust
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q4 & FY
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop
- Bacardi announces CFO switch
- SABMiller exec to become CFO at Beam Suntory
- Brown-Forman unveils Jack Daniel's UK push