EU: Dutch cartel brewers reject hearing – report
Four brewers in Holland have rejected the offer of a hearing with the European Commission in a cartel case, according to press reports.
Reuters said yesterday (6 December) that Grolsch, InBev, Heineken and Bavaria have all turned down the invitation. The companies stand accused of operating a cartel in the country between 1995 and 1999, the news agency noted.
The Comission issued its charges to the brewers in October, to which the brewers replied last month.
"We didn't (seek a hearing) because we thought we made our point clear in writing," a spokesperson for Grolsch told Reuters.
Citing a source which had seen the Commission's 95-page statement of objections, Reuters said that the brewers have been accused of operating a cartel in the retail, private label and horeca sectors.
"All the parties replied to the statement of objections and have not requested a hearing," a Commission spokesperson confirmed to the news agency.
In September, the Commission's antitrust authorities claimed that the brewers had fixed prices, allocated customers and exchanged commercially-sensitive information between themselves in Holland.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
InBev, is to close its Labatt's Toronto brewery by the end of the year, with repercussions for some 265 employees. ...
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
Heineken Espana is looking to invest heavily in a new plant in southern Spain....
InBev has added a Russian brewery to its pilot project to improve efficiency throughout its operations....
Grupo Empresarial Bavaria is not looking to sell up, its president has confirmed....
The chief financial officer of Brau Union has resigned....
A Heineken joint venture unit is attempting to buy up the remaining shares in Wuerzburger Hofbraeu....
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research