Drinks industry social media use "maturing" - research
The use of social media for marketing purposes by drinks industry companies can be segmented into four distinct campaign types, according to a new market research report from just-drinks.
The report, entitled 'The State of Drinks Industry Social Media', claims that the campaigns by beverage businesses observed during the last year fell into four groups; cause led, events led, community led and sales promotion led.
The report also asserts that social media is now in its third age; the first and second age were preoccupied with the battle of the networks (where) and the war for followers (who). This third age, however, is characterised by a fight by brands for relevance (what) and resonance (why).
Using examples from brands including Kirin, Amstel, SABMiller, Bacardi, Absolut, Fanta, Mizone, Budweiser and Skol, the report highlights how drinks producers are having to juggle consumer demand for authenticity with the needs to both develop innovative content and hit commercial targets.
John Newton, the author of the report and fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, said: "The maturity of the channel now means that the gap between social media strategy - previously siloed - and overall communications strategy has narrowed.
"Drinks brands are now expected to be producer-publishers. Social media is a primary way of sharing content to drive interest, brand values, brand fame and sales", Newton added.
The demand for more data on the return-on-investment from social media activity, and regional considerations when running international campaigns are also explored.
The State of Drinks Industry Social Media
The adoption rate of social media has dwarfed any other media before it. But the runaway success of social media presents profound challenges, and opportunities, for drinks manufacturers. The ability ...read more
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends