FINLAND: Drinks industry pans alcohol tax rise decision
The Finnish Government will raise the tax rate on alcohol by less than its initial proposal
Finland’s drinks industry federation has criticised a Government plan to further increase the tax on alcohol in 2014.
Depsite, the Government’s decision to restrict the tax hike to half the amount stated in the 2014 budget plan, Panimoliitto has attacked the move. Next year's rise will see the tax on alcohol increase by EUR2.15 (US$2.90) per litre of 100% alcohol.
This amounts to a tax hike of 5% to 8.6%, depending on the category of alcoholic beverage.
Panimoliitto has lobbied strongly for a cut in alcohol taxes to reflect falling domestic sales and growing cross-border imports from Estonia. Finland’s beer tax is the highest in the EU, and over fives times higher than in Estonia.
At present, tax accounts for 60% to 80% of the per-litre retail price of beer in Finland.
Earlier this year, Heineken offloaded its Finnish brewing division, Hartwall, to Royal Unibrew. The move was a result of a review of the unit launched by Heineken in February.
The Future of the Spirits Market in Finland to 2017
The report presents detailed data on the Spirits consumption trends in Finland, historic and forecast consumption volume and value at market and category level, brand share, alcoholic strength, price ...read more
Roland Pirmez was president of Asia Pacific Breweries before Heineken took full control of the joint venture in 2012. He now combines that role with heading up Heineken's Asia Pacific division. just-d...
Heineken, the world’s third largest brewer and leading cider producer, continued its aggressive acquisitive expansion in 2012 with the purchase of Asia Pacific Breweries. This profile considers the ex...
The French unit of Heineken is set to invest EUR10m (US$13.8m) in one of its breweries in France....
Heineken do Brasil Comercial’s strategic direction became more aggressive in 2012. The company invested in new product launches and marketing and advertising campaigns to attract the attention of cons...
This is the first in a new series of short reports from just-drinks. These profiles will bring together all of just-drinks' coverage of a major development involving some of the leading players in the...
"The Future of the Wine Market in New Zealand to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company researc...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research