Drinks industry confidence hit hard by Brexit vote - just-drinks survey
- Short- and long-term industry confidence reduced, especially in the UK
- At least two years before full implications of Brexit understood
- UK and European respondents more pessimistic than Rest of World
just-drinks surveyed 302 of its members earlier this month
Confidence in the global drinks industry has been dealt a significant blow by the UK's decision to leave the European Union (EU), an exclusive just-drinks survey shows.
Almost two-thirds (64.9%) of UK respondents said their confidence in the industry's short-term prospects had been reduced over the past three months, with a similar number (64.2%) saying the same about its long-term potential.
Non-UK European respondents were slightly less pessimistic, while those in the rest of the world were the most optimistic – but, even here, only 13% said their short-term confidence had risen in the run-up to the Brexit vote.
The industry does not expect the implications of Brexit to be fully understood for some time: the vast majority believe it will take at least two years and, among UK respondents, 45% predict it will take at least five years.
The Brexit Confidence Survey, carried out over a two-week period in July, also covered the automotive, apparel and food industries. UK drinks respondents were notably more pessimistic than their food counterparts, with 64.9% expressing reduced short-term confidence, versus 45.2% for food.
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends