AUSTRALIA: Drinks giants keep growing
Fosters' A$3.2 billion takeover of Southcorp - now virtually assured with its sweetened bid - gives the brewing and wine group unassailable dominance of the Australian liquor market and further emphasises the distortion of the wine industry.
Fosters' chief executive Trevor O'Hoy says one in every two alcoholic drinks consumed in Australia will be a Foster's brand. About 35% of every dollar spent at wholesale level or in bars will end up in Foster's coffers when beers such as top selling VB are factored in.
The takeover is the latest and biggest of industry upheavals and followed Constellation Brands' A$1.4 billion purchase of BRL Hardy in 2003 and Fosters' own A$1.5 billion acquisition of Beringer in 2000.
The big three as they will now be known have about 65% of the national vintage. Although the second rank wine producers such as Casella and McGuigan Simeon are substantial in Australian terms, they are well behind the big three and behind them are more than 1800 other wineries, the majority crushing less than 100 tonnes.
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
The equity analyst Legg Mason has raised its fiscal 2006 EPS targets for the US drinks group Constellation Brands to US$3.18 from US$3.12, saying it believed the company's attractive growth profile re...
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Constellation Brands has reported record net sales and net income for its full year, despite a tough fourth quarter, in which it was hit by acquisition costs....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are considering a US$13 billion bid for Allied Domecq, the world's second-largest spirits company. Were it to take place, Pernod and Fortune would split Allied's brand...
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
Frescobaldi has bought out Constellation from its joint venture, according to press reports....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research