GLOBAL: Drinks firms keep the faith in BRIC countries - research
Varying fortunes for Brazil, Russia, India and China in the global economic downturn have not dented drinks firms' commitment to the 'big four' emerging markets, according to a report.
Both alcoholic and soft drinks sectors are set for "healthy volume rises" in 2009 in China and India, with sales also set to increase by an average 2% in Brazil, according to the Quarterly Beverage Tracker run by global drinks market consultancy group Canadean.
Drinks producers have had a tougher time in Russia, which has been more acutely damaged by the economic downturn, and specifically by a fall in global demand for oil.
Drinks sales are expected to fall 2% by volume in Russia for 2009, including an 11% projected slip in soft drinks sales, said Canadean.
Separately, most major brewers operating in the country are expecting mid-single digit volume sales declines for the year.
"Despite the deterioration in the global economic environment there is still plenty of optimism that the [so-called] BRIC markets will realise their undoubted potential in the longer term, even the worst affected of the four - Russia," said Canadean.
PepsiCo and its bottler, Pepsi Bottling Group, recently announced a plan to invest US$1bn in Russia over three years.
Jones Soda shares dropped 40% in morning trading today (9 March) on the news that Reed's is to acquire the fellow US-based soft drinks group in a share and cash merger deal....
The challenging economic environment combined with Jones Soda's current capitalisation has made it extremely difficult for the firm to continue to operate on a standalone basis. Michelle Russell looks...
Investment bank UBS has upgraded Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPSG) to buy from neutral, saying that it doesn't believe the market is fully valuing strong fundamentals for the business....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future