IRELAND: Drinks export market tops EUR1bn despite slowdown
Ireland's drinks exports continue to be worth more than EUR1bn
Ireland's drinks exports market has been hailed a “major success story” with a value of around EUR1.09bn (US$1.43bn) last year, despite a slowdown in sales.
The Drinks Industry Group of Ireland (DIGI) report, released today (2 May), shows that the country is ranked 11th internationally in terms of size of alcohol exports, thanks to the number of locally-sourced products.
The EU accounts for 60% of Ireland's drinks exports, with the remaining share spread across the world. The UK and North America are the main markets for overseas sales from Ireland, but the report identified “major potential” for emerging markets such as India and China.
Kieran Tobin, DIGI chairman, said: “The challenge for the industry is to continue to build on this success and constantly identify new target markets for our products.”
Irish exports peaked in 2007 when more EUR1.3bn of products were exported. However the market has declined in recent years due to the international recession, the report's author Anthony Foley said.
Foley added: “The future remains positive, given the wider success of Irish food and drink products in key global markets.”
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research