IRELAND: Drinks export market tops EUR1bn despite slowdown
Ireland's drinks exports continue to be worth more than EUR1bn
Ireland's drinks exports market has been hailed a “major success story” with a value of around EUR1.09bn (US$1.43bn) last year, despite a slowdown in sales.
The Drinks Industry Group of Ireland (DIGI) report, released today (2 May), shows that the country is ranked 11th internationally in terms of size of alcohol exports, thanks to the number of locally-sourced products.
The EU accounts for 60% of Ireland's drinks exports, with the remaining share spread across the world. The UK and North America are the main markets for overseas sales from Ireland, but the report identified “major potential” for emerging markets such as India and China.
Kieran Tobin, DIGI chairman, said: “The challenge for the industry is to continue to build on this success and constantly identify new target markets for our products.”
Irish exports peaked in 2007 when more EUR1.3bn of products were exported. However the market has declined in recent years due to the international recession, the report's author Anthony Foley said.
Foley added: “The future remains positive, given the wider success of Irish food and drink products in key global markets.”
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends