IRELAND: Drinks export market tops EUR1bn despite slowdown
Ireland's drinks exports continue to be worth more than EUR1bn
Ireland's drinks exports market has been hailed a “major success story” with a value of around EUR1.09bn (US$1.43bn) last year, despite a slowdown in sales.
The Drinks Industry Group of Ireland (DIGI) report, released today (2 May), shows that the country is ranked 11th internationally in terms of size of alcohol exports, thanks to the number of locally-sourced products.
The EU accounts for 60% of Ireland's drinks exports, with the remaining share spread across the world. The UK and North America are the main markets for overseas sales from Ireland, but the report identified “major potential” for emerging markets such as India and China.
Kieran Tobin, DIGI chairman, said: “The challenge for the industry is to continue to build on this success and constantly identify new target markets for our products.”
Irish exports peaked in 2007 when more EUR1.3bn of products were exported. However the market has declined in recent years due to the international recession, the report's author Anthony Foley said.
Foley added: “The future remains positive, given the wider success of Irish food and drink products in key global markets.”
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research